Sunday, July 18, 2010

Oklahoma City

I-40 through Ozarks

The drive through the Ozarks was peaceful and scenic. After crossing the Mississippi Sunday morning there was a lot of truck traffic but they all left around Little Rock making the drive more peaceful.
Oklahoma Sky
Once you cross over into Oklahoma it's another terrain and climate. The sky is blue with wispy clouds over the prairie. This makes for a scenic Sunday drive. I spent a lot of time cloud watching.

Arriving in Oklahoma City I checked into my free hotel room, courtesy of Radisson Points earned at the Vancouveer Gesneriad Convention. I tried to visit the Myriad Botanical Gardens but they were closed all summer due to renovation. My destination in Oklahoma city is the Western Heritage Museum but there's only an hour left till closing so I opted to go downtown. I found the tragic OKC Memorial and walked around admiring how beautiful and peaceful it was.

























Pieces of the former Murah Federal Building were left in place on the Memorial grounds. Granite from the former building was used to pave the paths through the site.














Sunday afternoon the downtown streets of  OK city were pretty deserted which is good because I did a lot of U turns.